Thanks for your incredible generosity over the last couple of weeks towards our Harvest Offering! Sunday's total brought this years giving to over $10,000! $1000 of that will go to help the Harbor get a kitchen going in downtown Detroit. We still have $3-4K left from last years offering too. We'll put together a game plan and let you know a timeline for the work to be done on the bathrooms. Can't wait!!
Join us for our Harvest Offering and Church Family Fun Day, Sunday November 18th, after worship!
The afternoon will start with a Potluck Dinner, and then be followed by games like: Giant Jenga & Yardzee, Crafts, the Corn Hole Tournament of Champions, games specifically designed for kids, and more. Weather depending, we may also have a bonfire with smores. You can sign-up for the Tournament by clicking here or stopping by the Welcome Center in the lobby.
During worship, we'll give to our annual Harvest Offering. 10% of the offering will go towards helping provide a new oven for our conference's Detroit Dinner Churches. For more information on the Harvest Offering please take some time to watch the videos below where Pastor Tyson shares about it, Pastor Eric and the Tenorio family share their hearts, or to view the original letter that went out to the congregation. If you are unable to join us on the 18th, you can click here to give today! Thanks in advance for your generosity as you prayerfully consider this year's Harvest Offering!!
HARVEST OFFERING LETTER FROM OCTOBER:
Dear Church Family,
God is continuing to move at WFMC! This last year has been pretty incredible. Here are a few highlights:
People are coming to Jesus, getting discipled, and getting baptized throughout the year. Maturing believers are taking their commitment to God and community to new levels. And the community and world around us are seeing the love of God through us as we live on mission.
- God has opened new doors to reach our community with the good news in Norwayne and throughout the area. We can’t wait to share some of the opportunities God has for us in 2019!
- We’ve began streaming our Sunday services online. Over 50 people are watching live, and another 100-150 are watching the video after the service ends. More and more people each week are hearing the good news!
- People are taking next steps at incredible rates. We had our highest increase in serving in many years, including 25 new people jumping in during one quarter of the year alone!
- We currently have around 90 people involved in growth groups. Along with the high numbers, we’ve had all kinds of creative options for groups including Run for God, Game Day Groups, and more. People have been pursuing Jesus in community and lives are changing.
- We also had over 100 people serve and impact Detroit by serving in dinner church. What an incredible experience that was!
- Growth is also happening in children’s & youth ministry. We have over 40 children active in kids ministry and around 20 students active in youth group.
- Dozens of new people have found a church home with us. People are not just finding a place to worship at WFMC, they are finding a family!!
The last 6 years around Thanksgiving we have taken up a special 1 time offering that has helped us improve our reach into the community as well as enhance our ability to minister on-site. Through these offerings we have created our first handicap accessible restroom, added a ramp to our gym, re-done our lobby floor, added monthly funds for benevolence, given to mission initiatives, fixed our sound system, created better access for the hearing impaired, and much more!
Last year we started a 3 stage plan to work on our lobby, bathrooms, and sanctuary. We also tithed (gave 10%) of last years offering to missions outside of WFMC. We got our lobby floor done and we’re in the process of finishing up signage and decorations. Thanks for making that happen! The floor is getting rave reviews!!! After all is said and done, we are estimating that we will have around $3,000 extra from last year to put towards phase 2, which is our bathrooms. To the right is our current men’s room, below is it the type of look we’d like to shoot for in both bathrooms.
Our bathrooms (aside from the family bathroom) get the lowest reviews out of anything in the facility. Our Conference Superintendent, after his last visit, spoke to the lack of appeal and functionality. They were completed in the early 70s and have not been addressed since (nearly 50 years!!)
Our goal is to transform them from a 1980s Jr. High locker room feel to a place that is inviting to guests and one that provides a better experience for our members too. Right now the average stall size is 5 inches or more less than today’s standards. That combined with the layout means that guys have to stand over the toilet just to get the door open and closed. It’s not much better in the women’s as the ladies report a high level of discomfort.
Our hope is to raise $10-15K and remodel both bathrooms. Our desire is to eliminate 1 stall from each bathroom to make the remaining stall(s) more spacious. (We are waiting on the city to tell us if this is ok.) We’d like to create drop ceilings with new lighting, new sinks, new mirrors, a space to nurse in the women’s, and more! We’d also like to once again tithe on this year’s amount to missions.
We believe these changes will enhance the experience for every member, as well as be much more inviting for guests. This will address our least attractive and least functional space. The strong feedback we’ve gotten from guests, members, and our conference has made this a definite priority. Looking forward to the chance to give this year and continue to enhance this ministry tool God has given us in our facility. Thanks in advance for your prayerful generosity! Onward & Upward!!
- Pastor Tyson & the WFMC Leadership Team